For anyone who is interested in learning more about and pursuing the PMP certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI) there are some elements which are essential to focus on.
Do not go and purchase training if you haven’t yet figured out what the exam is all about and if you even want to pursue it.
Use these pillars and resources on your journey.
1) Learn About PMP Certification
What is it anyway? If you just heard about it and think it’s what you need to become a project manager, you need to stop and do some research. ?If you want to listen to me, then don’t do ‘boot camps’ designed for short-term memory only.
- Read and understand the PMP Handbook.
- Subscribe to my PMP Certification newsletter for free.
- Read New Project Managers and the PMP Exam: A Rant.
- Read PMP Audit Guide.
2) Plan Your Studies
Now that you really know what the PMP Certification is all about and why you might want to get it, you can plan your approach.
- Read my recommended PMP Study Process.
- Select your preferred PMP Certification study resources.
- Schedule regular study sessions and figure out your target date to sit for the exam.
3) Execute Your Plan
Time to get it done. ?Consistent effort over time per your plan and a method for holding yourself accountable to that plan are going to help make you successful.
- Hold yourself accountable to your PMP Certification study plan, and if possible have someone else help hold you accountable.
- Schedule your exam for your target date. ?It will help keep you motivated and focused.
- Adjust the plan if necessary. ?Your PMP certification is a project, and sometimes we have to adjust plans after starting work on our projects and we find out those ‘unknown unknowns.’
4) Get Extra Help
There are many resources available in addition to the core study materials that will help your confidence and chances of success for the PMP certification.
- PMP Simulator: 1,800 high quality sample questions for you
- PMP Exam Formula Study Guide: All the formulas you need to know for the PMP exam
- PMP Flashcards: 1,750 flash cards to help you prepare for the PMP exam